Choosing Between Non-Surgical and Surgical Options for My Facial Rejuvenation
When patients are discussing facial rejuvenation with Dr. DeMars they frequently confuse the surgical and non-surgical techniques available, wondering which they should be doing. In many cases Dr. DeMars will recommend using a combination of the techniques for maximum effectiveness. Surgical and Non-Surgical techniques should not be thought of as “Either-Or” choices as they are frequently useful together, with one technique complementing and adding to the results of the other.
Dr. DeMars explains the aging process can be thought of as occurring in two layers, the superficial surface of the skin and the deeper tissues. On the superficial surface we see the development of fine lines and pigment irregularities, conditions that are treated with Non-Surgical means such as Chemical Peels, Dermabrasion and Laser Resurfacing.
In the deeper layers aging changes happen in three ways:
- volume loss
- downward migration of tissues
- and localized fat accumulation.
Volume loss is corrected by replacing the lost volume with fat transfer and injectable fillers. Localized fat accumulation can be resolved with delicate liposuction, and downward migration of the tissues is reversed with lifting techniques such as browlift, face and neck lifts, and eyelid lifts.
When a patient is seen in consultation, Dr. DeMars evaluates all the different aspects of aging and helps his patients choose a comprehensive plan to best reach their individual goals.
A summary of techniques is as follows:
- Botox – to quiet overactive muscles that crease the skin
- Injectable Fillers – to add volume to areas needing improved three dimensional contour
- Fat Transfer – a more permanent volume correction
- Laser Resurfacing and Dermabrasion – to smooth fine surface lines
- Laser and Chemical Peel – to reduce spotty pigmentation
- Blepharoplasty (Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift) – to eliminate loose skin, bags, and dark circles
- Brow Lift – To firm up the forehead, reducing wrinkles and a sad or tired look
- Face Lift and Neck Lift – to regain the youthful face and neck contours
- Liposuction – to reduce a heavy look in the neck or jowls
If you think surgical or non-surgical facial rejuvenation may be right for you, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with Dr. DeMars in Portland, Oregon. Together, you and Dr. DeMars will assess the best course of action to get you looking and feeling your best.