Preparing for After Your Plastic Surgery Procedure in Portland
Often times, patients are concerned about how to prepare before their plastic surgery procedure, but forget to consider how they should prepare for after. Here are a few things to keep in mind before you have your procedure:
- Work – If your plastic surgery procedure will require that you have some recovery time, make sure you are aware of how much recovery time is typically needed before returning to work. Be sure that you have cleared this with your place of employment, requested days off as necessary, and have a plan in place for who will do your work in your absence or how it will be managed while you are gone.
- Childcare – If you are a parent, you will want to consider that you may be unable to properly care for your children for some time, depending on their ages and your procedure. Have appropriate childcare planned in advance.
- Driving Home – Most plastic surgery procedures are outpatient procedures, meaning you can go home on the same day. However, it is likely that you will need a driver who can take you home once you awaken from the anesthesia, as you will not be in a condition to drive. Plan to have a friend or family member take you home.
- Household Chores – You may be unable to accomplish certain household chores for a time after your procedure. If necessary, make arrangements for how this will be managed before your surgery.
- Support – You will likely need both emotional and physical support during your healing process. Make sure you have someone you trust and can depend on to be there for you during this time, whether it is someone to speak to, or someone who can help run an errand for you.
See Dr. DeMars’ video response about how to prepare for after plastic surgery here:
Other factors may need to be considered depending on what type of plastic surgery procedure you have completed. If you have questions about how to prepare for plastic surgery in the Portland area, feel free to call Dr. DeMars’ plastic surgery office at (503) 253-3458 and we can help address any concerns.