How Can I Speed Up My Tummy Tuck Recovery?
The Tummy Tuck surgery, more formally known as an Abdominoplasty, is one of the most common procedures done by Dr. DeMars. Many of our patients, upon completion of their family, want to get back to the young and tight abdomen they had prior to their pregnancies, with flatter and tighter muscles and tighter skin with fewer stretch marks. It is a significant operation and has to be carefully planned into the life of a busy Mom and her family. For most patients who have a job that does not require lifting, they can return to work in 2 or 3 weeks, but more active jobs may require 4 weeks or more of recuperation.
It goes without saying that busy women want to do whatever they can in order to minimize their recovery time and return to caring for their families and their jobs. We are frequently asked what steps Tummy Tuck patients can take to accomplish a speedy recovery. Of course, the body can only heal so fast but there are recommendations Dr. DeMars makes to aid in a recovery that is as rapid as possible.
- First, and foremost, get plenty of rest the first two weeks after surgery
- Although rest is important, being a pure couch potato is not good, get up and walk around the room every couple of hours
- Understand it is OK to be a princess during this time, don’t feel like you have to be a caregiver to others, arrange in advance to have someone available to help you
- Make sure you are well nourished on a healthy diet, no dramatic calorie restrictions, both before and after the Tummy Tuck surgery
- Stay well hydrated with water, electrolyte preparations and juices
- *Plan ahead for the constipation that is a side effect of all narcotic pain pills and have on hand stool softeners for daily use and gentle laxatives if needed
- Have lots of pillows available to help stay propped up in bed so you are comfortable
- Carefully follow your Surgeon’s instruction in care of the surgical wound and in taking of the various medications that will be prescribed for you
- Have a good frame of mind as there is no question your positive attitude will be of great help in getting through the first few days of recovery
The Tummy Tuck patients are some of the happiest in Dr. DeMars’ practice but it is important to remember it is a big operation and your planning ahead of time and then following the doctor’s Postoperative Instructions will get you back to your active life as quickly as possible.